The site on which the theatre sits was once owned by Hamilton Operatic Society. The society operated and had rooms at this location since the 1950’s after a patron had gifted it to them. They staged many productions out of a small hall structure that seated around 100 people. In the 1970’s the fly tower was added so that they could present larger shows. With attendance reaching well beyond capacity the Society went on to plan a second stage development, building the auditorium that stands today. In 1986 after years of fund raising the society partially completed the auditorium and foyer. The additional patrons lounge and upstairs bar was not completed due to lack of funds.
The theatre on completion was called Trust Bank Community Theatre. With the purchase of Trust Bank by Westpac the theatre then changed its name to WestpacTrust Community Theatre.
Hamilton Operatic Society ran its offices and costume hire business from the theatre until 1997, at which time the Hamilton City Council purchased the theatre from the Society.
From 2000 the Hamilton City Council operated the theatre and changed the name to Clarence St.
In 2015 Clarence St was then gifted to Clarence Street Theatre Trust to own and operate. They changed the name to Clarence St Theatre.